- Pastor John Conover
Spiritual Power Through Praise and Prayer
We gain spiritual power through the exercises of praise and prayers. While we are doing these things in the Spirit and with understanding, our "worry muscles" and "complaining nerves" get weak from lack of use.
We can praise God for the spiritual armor that He wears and gives to us to use in our spiritual battles. Most of us are aware that Ephesians 6:10-18 commands us to put on the whole armor of God. But, few are aware that Jehovah wears the armor. He calls us to do what He does. He does not say, "do what I say, but not what I do." Isaiah 59:17 says, "He put on righteousness as a breastplate, and a helmet of salvation on His head." Isaiah was writing about the Redeemer who would come out of Zion to destroy His enemies and deliver those who trust in Him. He closes with these words from the LORD in vs. 21. "This is my covenant with them; My Spirit who IS upon you, and My words which I have put in you mouth, shall not depart... from this time and forevermore."
We are motivated to put on the whole spiritual armor of God because Jesus wore it to win the war of the ages against sin, death, hell, and Satan. He did not lose with His armor. When we lose a battle, it is not because of His armor.
Now note in the Ephesians passage that there are clear commands, and then some participles that add clarity to what is involved when you obey the clear commands.
1. Put on the whole armor of God.
2. Take up the whole armor of God.
3. Stand (4 x) against the wiles of the devil and evil.
4. Put on the helmet of salvation.
5. Take the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.
Now add real decisions to accomplish these commands:
1. Having done all (you can) to stand.
2. Having girded your waist with truth.
3. Having put on the breastplate of (His) righteousness.
4. Having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel.
5. Taking up the shield of faith.
6. Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit...
7. Being watchful with all perseverance.
Let us pray for our church to stand firm as well in these evil days, for we wrestle against spiritual wickedness in high places.